Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Taking Care

My super fabulous blogger friend Amy, over at Juice Boxes & Crayolas (is that not the best blog name ever?) wrote today about the Do's and Don'ts to have a Wonder Winter Break. I am all about winter break. Don't get me wrong. I love my little cherubs but we all need a break from seeing each other's faces every now and then. Everyone needs to recharge, revamp and take a breather now and then. I find this especially important for myself and therefore I know my small fry students definitely need it if I do!

I almost agree 100% with everything she has on her list. Really the only spots I don't agree with are because they don't apply to me (ie I am not a runner and she is). It made me think though...we all know that teachers sacrifice themselves many times over for the betterment of their students. At least the teachers who are still in it for the passion and calling that pulled them into the profession in the first place [I can sadly say in another forum I sometimes read there are MANY teachers who basically state outright that they are only still teaching because it's a steady job and it makes me sick]. How many UTIs have you had in your career from holding it? How many times have you eaten Oreos for dinner because you were too tired and busy grading/planning/conferencing, etc to actually cook something?

Yeah. Me too. But no more. I am not a huge fan of making resolutions because I think they are very easily broken and/or forgotten once February hits and life is hectic again. A super RL friend of mine and I are going to do WW together this year. I just ordered a new 2012 PointsPlus kit on eBay and am excited to get started. Mostly because when I look in the mirror, I want to hurl. Yeah. I didn't use to be this weight. Before I started teaching, I wasn't exactly skinny (no one would ever accuse Sunny of having been skinny at all in her life) but since I have been teaching full time the weight seems to attract to me like flies to honey.

And I know it makes me groggier, more tired and just downright not as healthy as I could and should be. So I'm going to make my resolution to be to Take Care Of Myself in 2012.

--I am going to exercise at least 3 days a week, even if I have to kick my own behind to do it.
--I am going to eat better and follow WW (and it should be a lot easier this time since my RL friend pointed me in the direction of this site which is filled with tons of yummy WW friendly recipes and provides a huge bang for your buck in terms of points -- and you know I am SOLD on this site when the first thing I see is Brownie Batter pancakes that are only 4 points!!!)
--I am going to FORCE myself to DRINK WATER. You know how much I ♥ Diet Coke...but I know I don't drink enough plain water. I want to work up to drinking a full glass of water for every Diet Coke I have every day. I shall be well hydrated.
--Take A Friggin Break already: At least one day on the weekend is mine, no computer, no school work, no anything that resembles "work" (not even on National Board). I have to give myself permission to relax and enjoy my life and I can't do that if I never, ever decompress.

So that's my plan. You might have to remind me that I promised to take care of myself....because sometimes we all forget. Even with the best of intentions. I don't want to forget. I want to be Fabulous, Healthy and Wise. And I have to take care of myself to get there.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! Great resolutions, and definitely do-able! Especially the "drink more water" one...I think that is a perpetual resolution of mine! I am pretty good about it, but can always be better. I love sending my hyper kiddos to the drinking fountain to refill my water bottle all day long. It's a win-win: makes me guzzle water and gives them their stretch break! (Although it does get tough to hold it... ;)

    ALSO meant to tell you after reading your post about books for Aspie kiddos, I have tutored a kiddo on the autism spectrum for many years whose parents just shared his diagnosis with him. I know that they shared some kid-friendly books (fiction and nonfiction) with him at the time, so I will email Mom and find out the titles for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your goals...I am right there with you! I MUST take a day for myself. My parents have been doing weight wachers for a few years...my dad has come off his type 2 diabetes meds, he is under 200 lbs, etc... I AM joining them this year. I am heavier than I ever have been. These past 2 years have not been god for my weight..I am up nearly 35lbs...YUCK-O.
    BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete