Friday, December 2, 2011

Oh Friday, how I have missed you so.....

I got a new kiddo yesterday. When I wasn't at school. Gross.

I hate when that happens. To me, there is nothing worse than having a new student when the regular teacher is not there. Not that it is the child's fault or anything, they don't know my schedule! It's just unfortunate timing. I feel bad for the student because they aren't going to get the walk-through and procedures they would get if the regular classroom teacher was there.

Fortunately, I was notified Wednesday afternoon that the new child was coming so I had some time to prepare. I had to move my classroom around a bit to accommodate another table so I had somewhere to put him. I also made sure I had out a name plate, his books, a pencil box, crayons and all of the other goodies I make sure the other students have. My sub even commented on how well I prepared for him with such short notice, knowing that I wasn't going to be there. Whew!

My class is pretty darn sweet this year so they were awesome in helping my new little guy feel welcomed yesterday. I got a chance to meet him before school yesterday since I was there doing last-minute things for the sub before I went to DDI. He's a cutie pie and very shy but sweet. His mom seemed really nice too and excited to have him at our school. They came from Indiana. It's always a crap-shoot getting a new kiddo this time of year because they might be super low, super naughty or possibly both!

I had a chance to sit with my new kiddo today and squeeze in some testing so I know where to place him when I start my new groups on Monday. He scored above benchmark on DIBELs (almost to the end of 2nd grade benchmark) and when I did running records with him, he scored a 90% on level Q!! So this kiddo will be joining my high group. Holy potatoes. That is SEVEN kids in my high group...I don't think I've ever had that many high kiddos EVER, let alone in one class. Plus the fact that six of those kids are BOYS is really awesome to me. 


It was a crazy/busy day today. We got a lot done but not nearly as much as I would have liked. I completely flaked on our weekly reading test and I don't even care!! I'm so tired. I have a million things to do this weekend for work, for National Board and I'm supposed to help a friend edit her paper for a college class. I'm tired thinking about it. Truthfully I would like to crawl into bed right now and it's only 7:30 on a Friday night. Lame! But it is what it is. I am going to go to bed early tonight, sleep in and hit the ground running tomorrow. If I really put the pedal to the medal, I can get everything for work done tomorrow in a few hours and then have Saturday night to relax and catch my breath. Helping my girlfriend won't be hard at all (it'll be fun for a nerd like me!) and she promised me dinner for helping her so how could I say no to that when there is the lure of a cocktail or two in there?? 

Hope your weekend is as relaxing as I wish mine could be!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe that they would give you a new student on a day when you were not there! That is crazy!

    Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. It happens a lot actually...because they try to keep our classes as balanced as possible so it was my turn to get the next new one and they just happened to show up on a day I wasn't going to be there. It happens at least once a year to me.

    ReplyDelete