Wednesday, August 31, 2011

woo Hoo!

Despite not physically bringing anything home with me last night, I feel like I got a lot accomplished. I *think* that I have figured out a way to incorporate my SSR block into my Reading Block so I can add in a 3rd small group each day.

Last year we started doing DDI Strategies to help students boost their efforts with the MAP testing. There are two tests: Primary (K-1) and Goals (2-5). Well, our district decided that 2nd grade should still take the primary. Which means all of the DDI stuff I have is not fully matched up for 2nd grade. Gross! I KNEW there had to be a way to work with the 2-5 DDI and still help the children to get used to what they will be seeing once they go to 3rd grade and do take the Goals test.

Last night I printed all of the cue cards (not that many pages) and aligned them. Then I downloaded all of the ROK vocabulary cards to my iPad so I could shuffle through them at my leisure...and sure enough there are TONS of vocab words and Quick Shots (which are quick little activities to reinforce a skill) that match the Primary stuff. I wouldn't use them with 1st graders but 2nd graders should be alright with a LOT of modeling. So I'm excited to share that with my team today.

Additionally, last year in 5th we did a ton with "Target Tabbing" which is where you find areas in your book that fit a strategy you've worked on previously and the children do a quick activity with them. It's hard to explain without a visual (which I can't upload because of copyright -- sorry!). I will try to complete one and show a picture. Target Tabbing is very easy and helped my kidlets stay focused last year.

Plus overall in our school we had 57% of our students meet or exceed their growth goal last year so I KNOW this stuff works. We kicked it in the butt last year and really pushed out with our goals. I had 77% of my students overall meet or exceed their goals last year! This stuff WORKS. I was determined to find a way to use it with 2nd grade to help them get the most help to process and understand what they need to know.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've been busy!!! And I'd never heard of DDI strategies - thanks for sharing; I'm off to peruse!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caffeinated!

    My name is Mary and I am a partner with my sister at DDI Teacher Consulting. I am so glad to hear you are using some of our ideas! Please keep in touch to give us advice, comments, and help as we try to make our "stuff" easy to teachers to use in the primary grades. One of our most important goals is to never make MORE work for teachers. Kathleen is actually out in Michigan this week. I know she was at Palmer but I'll have to check where else! Teachers like you ROCK!!!!!
    www.ddi-teacher-consulting.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ♥ DDI! It seriously rocks.

    ReplyDelete