Monday, July 25, 2011

Student Accountability

I know that I don't have to tell anyone reading this that teachers have had the word "accountability" thrown in our faces so often, we'd like to scream whenever we hear it. Personally, I am a huge advocate for student accountability. 

Earlier this year, my 5th grade team and I went to a training about lexiling books. The gal who presented put the notion in my head about the kiddos having data binders to keep track of their own progress. I thought it was an amazing idea. She even showed us examples of KINDERGARTNERS who had amazing binders where they kept track of their learning (popcorn words, etc). I love it.

I belong to a couple of yahoo groups and I get the digests because I don't want a ton of emails every day. In my digest this morning, there was a link to this book:

Additionally, the gal who posted about it said that there is a free study guide for the book at the publisher's website. It's a 44 page guide! Wow. I checked it out at Amazon and because it seems to go right along with what I'd like to do with helping my 2nd graders be accountable, I had to buy it (and download the study guide which you can find here).

And while I was there....I just couldn't resist this:

Don't you just love Scaredy Squirrel??





Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Our students have been keeping their own data folders for several years. Each folder tracks their Reading Counts progress, their Benchmark scores, DIBELS scores, and attendance and behavior. I teach second grade and my kids are very capable of reading and understanding what the data stands for. This year, I will go one step further and have them do their own graphing with a "benchmark" line on their graph to give them a visual of where they should be to be on grade level. I'm really looking forward to this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little guy is cute.

    I like the idea of parent and student accountability. If they drop the ball, they owe money to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @gmonee5 -- yes!! You totally got what I'm saying. I'm not sure why I never thought to put it all together in a binder. I've always had my kiddos tracking something or other and I LOVE the idea of a data binder. The ONLY school supply I requested was 30 binders for these (a church donates supplies to our school and tries to get everyone at least something from their wish list). At the worst...we'll use folders!

    @Underground -- I'm all about accountability for everyone. I think that, unfortunately, there are a lot of teachers who have put us all in the position we're in today but I also think it is GOOD. We NEED to be accountable, but we also need to show our kiddos and their families that the accountability is a three way street here. We ALL share in that. I hope this is a way I can help my young friends learn that early :)

    ReplyDelete