Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome to the Best Year Ever!

In case you haven't figured it out by reading this blog and maybe checking out my Shelfari, I ♥ to read. Love.It.

Almost more than I love myself. (Kidding...kind of.)

Seriously though, I have always been a reader. My first experiences as a naive teacher-in-training, I could not fathom how the students in my classes didn't like to read (or *gasp* didn't have any books in their houses -- I really think that should be punishable by law, it's SO sad). After 6 years of working alongside children though, I realize this is a sad reality for many kids. I am the only teacher in my school who has over 600+ books in their class library (all of which belong to ME -- none provided by the school). Other kids see my library area and practically salivate at the possibility.

So when my parents gave me a $50 Amazon card for Christmas, I was in heaven. Heaven! I bought a beautiful bracelet I have been coveting for a long time that has the serenity prayer engraved on it and 7 books for my Kindle. I love my Kindle. It is probably the best present ever. Forget iPods, iPads and the like...that Kindle doesn't leave my side very often. I remember a few years ago scoffing at how could you possibly use an e-reader enough to  justify the expense...but oh man. I've definitely eaten those words!


I am excited to dig into the books I got with my gift card, one of which I already read (I read the whole thing today!):
Educating  Esme, expanded edition (finished)
The Hunger Games
Swallow
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl who Played with Fire
Easily Amused
The Sex Club (not what it sounds like -- I promise!)

Not to mention some of the freebies I've gotten recently that I can't wait to get into either:
House of Dark Shadows
Wish
Fireflies in December


I can't wait to get into these books, really. I see many cold winter days of snuggling up in a blanket and reading in my future. According to my Shelfari, I reaad 49 books last year...and considering that I didn't even start tracking my books until toward the end of April, it was probably more (and doesn't include the stuff I did for school either!).

A friend of mine recently wrote on FB how she made a goal to read 33 books this year and that was hard for her to finish. I didn't tell her how many I read because it wasn't hard for me and I didn't want her to virtually slap me silly! *wink*


So my Best Year Ever is definitely going to include lots and lots and LOTS of reading!

How about yours?

4 comments:

  1. I just read Room by Emma Donoghue (it's so nice to be able to read a whole book in a day because the laundry can wait). It was so tragic and so, so well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to suggest Room as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of that one too...since it is no longer on the Kindle "freebie" list, I'll probably wait a bit to buy it but some day I'm sure I will ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get as excited as you do about new books! I adored Educating Esme, and The Hunger Games books became some of my all-time favorite books when I read them over the summer! ENJOY!!

    Also, thank you for the honest and heart-felt comment on my 2010 recap post! I am SO glad to hear that you are having such a happier time with your class this year. That is wonderful! And I definitely agree about the silver-lining--I try to think of 1 thing I loved about teaching and being in the classroom after every school day, because even though the reality of teaching is not exactly what I thought it would be, there is so much to love every day. :)

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete