Tuesday, January 18, 2011

We RAWKED it!

Today was the utmost in productivity. It was fabulous. The Oldest ended up with a snow day (SOO unfair!) but the rest of us had school. At first, I couldn't understand it. Then I went outside. It was so deep, the poor dog barely had room to squat to go without getting his backside stuck in the snow (to which The Husband, being male and therefore a species I will never understand asked me if he left butt marks in the snow....really, who thinks of weird stuff like that besides guys?!).

I had the best day. We got through some math, social studies, word study, writing and reading AND cleaned/moved our desks all before lunch! And didn't skimp on anything. We were rocking the curriculum today for sure.

We were inside at lunch so I put in a video since it seems to be the only way to really keep them under control. Afterward we did our read aloud and silent reading time, then more math and they got ready to go to their last art of the year (our district switched to half-year art/half-year music this year). One of the kiddos looked up from math when I announced it was time to clean up and said "MAN, where did today go?!"

It was great! Plus I had already made my sub note for tomorrow and everything so I just had to make a few copies and do some organizational type things and I was good to go. I'm SO glad I took tomorrow off. It is going to be lovely. I'm going to pamper myself and get my nails done, maybe a haircut and definitely lunch out.

I always tell my students if I know I'm going to be out. I know many teachers don't but I feel like I owe them that courtesy. Anyway I had told them a week or so ago that I was taking a class this semester because we were talking about pushing yourself to your potential and all of that. One of the kids asked me if I was going to be gone tomorrow because of my new class starting. One of the other kids piped up with "nah, she's probably going to stay home in pjs and drink her Diet Coke!"

It's almost scary how well those kids know me! ;)

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog and found out we have a lot in common teaching-wise. I teach ELL magnet self-contained for 4th and 5th grade (heavy on grade 5 this year). And I have a Thistlegirl website too for my class--and I don't care, it's too cute to be babyish for the older kids! (my site is anonymous on the web as well). I absolutely love my job...I wouldn't trade working with ELL students for anything! Anyways, just wanted to say hello and I'll be reading along with your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pampering day sounds to DIE for! Enjoy every second :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One kind of cool thing to do that was suggested to me through a methods class is indoor classroom yoga. I forget the book the professor used, but I'm sure there must be a bunch out there. My favorite activity was "Spaghetti Arms"- active, but pretty calming afterward.

    Enjoy your day of pampering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @~A, usually if we have morning indoor recess, I let them play games, be on the computer or draw. It's basically like free time (which they never get so they love it). It's only at lunch time that we usually resort to a video because we don't have to be in there with them and we only have 2 people monitoring 6 classrooms which always equals chaos!

    ReplyDelete