Monday, January 31, 2011

Um, have you BEEN in my class this unit??

I really am starting to H-A-T-E Everyday Math. I've never minded it before.

This year, I hate it. I'm not sure if my students this year are all just completely inept at math or what but holy man.

I'm thinking perhaps subconsciously I left my file tote at school Friday so I didn't have to face these tests. I mean SERIOUSLY. They can't follow a simple direction that says "Write three equivalent fractions". Some gave me 1, some gave me percents and some gave me decimals. Considering this is the first question on the test, it's just not good.

The more I grade the more I wonder if I have been alone in my classroom teaching. I mean, really? AND they got to use a reference folder to help them and they STILL don't get it.

ARGH!

5 comments:

  1. UGH, AMEN to everything you just said!!! I despise everyday math. It's so abstract half the time, and tends to just confuse my kids. Are you testing on unit 5? I have been rewriting half the tests/quizzes, plus creating my own worksheets instead of using many of the journal pages. The way EDM teaches fractions just does NOT make sense!! Especially the order they teach it in. It constantly drives me crazy.

    And that is EXACTLY the way I feel grading math tests pretty much all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it is unit 5! I think I am going to go back to the old standby of creating my own tests because these are just awful.

    And the kids are CLUELESS on this math -- I feel bad for them because they're going to be lost in middle school since they don't teach EDM up there. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I taught math to 6th graders for 12 years and every year only about half of the kids gained a good grasp of fractions. I remember being frustrated every year over it. I have always wondered if it is just a developmental thing? Hang in there!
    Amy
    http://readyornot-newyear.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, that's such a nightmare unit. I'm just wrapping up Unit 5 right now. I end up teaching fractions completely my own way, then completing the parts of the book that I want...that is one of the units I like the least. Hope things get better, they always do!

    http://ladybugsteacherfiles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyday Math is the WORST!!!! We've been using it for years, and this year, I just refuse. I'm doing my own thing. Thankfully, my partner teacher feels the same way I do, so we've been working together to come up with our own curriculum.

    ReplyDelete