Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Forget Monday....

In comparison, getting up this morning and getting going was about 20 times harder than doing so on Monday. I was just DRAINED. I didn't even stay up that late (I made it until 10 which makes me sound so lame) yet I was d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g this morning.


We have computer lab first thing on Wednesday morning. We start at 8:20 and lab is supposed to start at 8:30 but after announcments and the usual hubbub of the morning, we aren't usually down there until about 8:40 (it's a "teacher directed" special so it doesn't matter if we're late or miss it). The kids are mandated to use Study Island which makes computer time more of a chore than anything else and I hate that for them. I usually have them do a short Study Island activity and then let them go onto some websites that have a lot of good information to help them practice in their MAP target area for the NWEA/MAP test.

Today I assigned two short quizzes: one on fractional parts since we've just started our unit on Fractions and one on narrative genre since that is a big area on the reading MAP test. Everyone passed the Fractions part. The lowest score was 80%. But only 4 out of the 21 kiddos I had during computer lab actually passed the narrative test. Oy! Considering the second testing window is just two weeks away and these kids did HORRIBLY in the second round test last school year, I'm nervous. How can they honestly NOT know that stuff?? I mean, really?!

On Wednesday and Thursday afternoons I have an interventionist who comes to my room for about an hour. Today I had her pull two small groups to work on the narrative stuff and she came in at the end of the day to tell me that she was appalled at how these kids couldn't tell her basic narrative stuff. I agreed -- how could they have forgotten all of that stuff?? So that's something I definitely need to drill into them over the next two weeks before that test.



I brought home a ton of work tonight even though I really just wanted to come home and do nothing. In fairness to myself, I did finish "The Hunger Games", play with my kids and enjoy my dinner before I looked at anything for school. I need to finish up lessons for next week and I should be good to go. It won't be hard, it's just finding the motivation to do them that is the problem at this moment. I'm ready to crawl into bed actually.

5 comments:

  1. I 100% agree that getting up today was WAY worse than Monday! All Sunday night I was tossing and turning worrying I would sleep through my alarm, so needless to say I about shot outta bed when it went off. But today I decided it was wise to turn it off and continue laying in bed...obviously I fell asleep and woke up an HOUR late! Yikes!

    Did you LOVE the Hunger Games??? I am obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did love it!! I was amazed at some of the negative reviews on Amazon -- ie. "I couldn't put it down, it was very gripping" yet they gave is a 1 because it was "disturbing"...Um, YEAH! Like half the movies we watch as a society aren't disturbing.


    I mentioned on FB how I wanted to get my hands on the next book ASAP and one of my colleagues offered to bring the 2nd and 3rd ones into work so I can borrow them. Heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling! I literally devoured the first two in June, and it was agony waiting for the third to be released! I feel like a newly-converted religious fanatic the way I've been forcing them on all my friends/family, but so far no one has been disappointed. Can't wait to hear what you think of the whole trilogy! PS- team gale or team peeta? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit at this point it would be Peeta because I'm only through the first book and I kind of feel bad for him! Katniss is clearly clueless that he isn't faking it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally obsessed with Peeta :) He's so sweet. But in real life I feel like at some point is selfless devotion would get a little annoying!!

    ReplyDelete