Sunday, September 19, 2010

Taking Care of Me

I have decided that since my new year is going so well thus far (*knock on wood*!!), it's high time I really start taking care of me. In the past, I have done Weight Watchers and know that when I use it and am consistent with it, it works. Plus The Oldest said she wanted to get into an exercise routine with me to keep each other accountable. She doesn't need to lose weight at all (she's a beanpole..) but she wants to tone up. Being in marching band has been really good for her because it has let her see that she's out of shape in some areas and she wants to improve that. Gotta give her kudos for wanting to make the change at her age instead of waiting until she's in her 20s or 30s.

So I am rejoining Weight Watchers online and setting a weight-loss goal for myself. I know I could stand to lose at least 50 lbs. I wore this wonderful, cute little outfit for our back-to-school night that I got at a thrift store for $6 but if I stood a certain way, I looked like I was 6 months pregnant. Seeing as how I am not pregnant, nor will ever be again, that is just not the look I am going for! So it's time to get back on the wagon.


There was an opportunity for me to sign up to teach in our after school program for an extra $100/wk for less than 4 hours of work but I turned it down. I have realized that this year I really need to focus on myself. While I think I would love having the opportunity to tutor some of my students after school who need extra help, I need to focus on my own well being and that of my children. I have given SO much of myself over the last few years and ultimately, that's why I ended up in the position I was in. It has been lovely thus far this year to see other people doing all of the jobs that I had at Former School and realizing that all I am expected to do right now is teach my students. That is such a great feeling after being so overwhelmed and overworked for so long.


The lesson of the day is to take care of yourself. Do what you need to do, be it a lifestyle change, a change in outlook or just adopting a positive attitude, even in a not-so-positive situation. It amazes me what a difference it makes.

4 comments:

  1. So completely true!! Balance in a teacher's life is key if sanity is going to be maintained :). And sanity/health is definitely worth more than $100 a week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! My health/sanity is priceless to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to have read this post tonight. I have blogged on a couple of occasions about finding a balance with teaching and life. I've been at it for about a month and I am really starting to notice some changes by simply resolving to maintain my physical health an mental sanity. I hope you continue to take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @eager -- it is a great boundary to set your first year! I had a TON of work I could have brought home today but I did not. I realized I probably wouldn't do much of it anyway and I need this 'me time'. It'll get done at work when it gets done, I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete