Friday, September 17, 2010

Plans

This morning before school and during my whole prep (which is first thing on Friday), I rearranged my classroom. I would have loved to do it last night after the Open House but I had therapy at 6:30 so it wasn't happening. It took me forever because I ended up needing to move my meeting area up to the front of the room -- with trying to accommodate 33 children, I just couldn't arrange the desks with enough space to keep that space. The good news is that I was able to move the meeting area up to the front and it works so much better (and has much more room) while still fitting the desks in so nicely. It isn't ideal and wasn't what I had envisioned this summer but it was much easier to manage throughout the day. I also moved the seating arrangement to discourage my talkers and that seemed to help as well.


Mrs. Cooperating Teacher gets to school at 6:30 a.m. every day (which I think is insane!) and since I still don't have an entry key (some lame excuse about being a "new" staff member -- I'm not new to the district and they should've all been issued together or not at all!), I think I am going to try to meet her at school at that time Monday morning. I loathe the idea of getting there at that ungodly hour but since I used up all of my plan and prep time this morning moving furniture I don't feel like I am really as prepared as I would like to be for next week (and short of staying until 7 o'clock tonight, which I was NOT about to do, it wasn't going to get done today). If I get there super early Monday, I can get everything set for the whole week and not feel like I am flying by the seat of my pants. Next week starts my "no taking work home" rule so being ultra prepared is going to be essential.

I have, in the past, put in really late evenings once a week to ensure I was on top of things but I would rather not get into that habit again. I am actually debating working from 7-4 instead of 7:30-4:30 (except on meeting days) because twice this week I left at 4 and it was SO wonderful! I wouldn't mind getting to work a little earlier since I used to get to Former School at 7 every day also. Plus since my current school dismisses kids at 3:10, I'm more or less done with students by 3:15 or 3:20. It gives me plenty of time to get things set for the following day before I leave since I can use my time when I arrive to plan and make copies or whatnot.

I may try it next week and see how I like it, especially since I know Mrs. Cooperating Teacher is always there early and could let me in until I get my key. I know I am NOT going to make it a habit to get there at 6:30 daily because I wouldn't get to see my kids in the morning and that's not going to work for me.

2 comments:

  1. I get severe anxiety if I don't get to school early! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha Ginger! I like getting to school early too but not by 6:30! ;) At my last school we started at 8:30 and I was always there by 7. It was nice. This year we start a little earlier (8:20) but I found that getting there at 7:30 was still plenty of time to get ready in the morning. I just think getting there by 7 will be much nicer so I can leave earlier and have more time at night with my own kiddos!

    ReplyDelete