Thursday, September 30, 2010

Laughter

Laughter really is the best medicine. If nothing else, my class this year has taught me that well thus far. Today we started doing some partner/small-group work for our literacy block. We're going to be trying a rotation once our standardized testing is over in October so I decided to put my kiddos into groups now and try it out. I based them on the MAP scores and put them into leveled groups. They won't be in these groups daily but a couple times a week we'll do some leveled readers and other activities within the groups to help the kiddos to be more "on level" with each other. I'm excited to try it out.

Anyway so today we were giving it a shot and Mrs. Resource was pushing in to support us during the reading time. She worked with her 3 boys that she'll be servicing in the groups rotation. They got finished early and I got out some books for them to read together. As we were finishing up and cleaning up to get ready for lunch, she said something about the book title ("Snot Stew") and I laughed out loud. One of my boys said, "Wow, Mrs. Sunny, I never heard you laugh like that. I think that laugh came from your belly button!" *wink*



Just now I am finally finishing grading their Unit 1 math assessments. They took them last week and I put off finishing them because the first few kids did SO horrible on them. But they need to go home in tomorrow's Friday folders so I can't put it off anymore. I just got a huge chuckle out of one of the kids. In this unit we spent a lot of time on prime/composite numbers. One of the questions asks if 24 is prime or composite and asks the child to explain how they know. One of my boys wrote:

It can be timed for a lot of numbers. That's why I know all that. I got it from you, Mrs. Sunny.
I almost fell off my dining room chair laughing when I saw that. He's an ELL which is why the grammar is a bit weird but I LOVED how he was like "I learned it from you". Even though they all collectively did pretty poorly, they still make me crack up at least once a day and that's really all I can ask for.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sunny! Just stopping by to give some blog love! Thanks for your comments. It feels good to know that I am not the only one who feels the same say!

    ReplyDelete