Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hmmm

Day 2 of Math Workshop was kind of a bust, at least at the games station. Yesterday only one group lost games privileges, today TWO did. I have to keep reminding myself to be patient and let them learn from these mistakes. It would be a million times better if I had a TA or even a para for 30-40 minutes during that time but I doubt very much that will happen.


At lunch today, some of the staff were talking about an alleged meeting our superintendent had this past Saturday with the goal of how to "get rid of" some teachers. In other words, fire them by finding stupid things wrong. I swear every day I check my email and just wonder more and more who these morons at the top of this food chain are. I am not all about blaming poverty or anything (although it does have something to do with many of these children's problems) but when the blame falls entirely to ME for the children not achieving, I think that is a load of crap. Our district already has had a hard time filling positions this fall -- there are classrooms that have subs in them because they couldn't find someone who wanted the job full-time! -- yet they do things like this and wonder why no one wants to work there. Gee, let me think about that.


I hope and pray that if I ever do go to the dark side (ie. administration -- which I very much doubt I would ever do), that I don't lose sight of who really matters in this equation: THE CHILDREN. We had an awesome PD the first day we were back in session...and that was 4 weeks ago. Not a stitch of those materials have come to our classrooms. Yet we're going to be held accountable for having them in place. I don't know a single teacher in my school who DOESN'T want to use them...but it is hard to when the materials/supplies were promised but have yet to show up.

It is days like this that make me want to just leave my district. I know those kids need me...but the politics sure make it hard to remember that some days.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I know! School politics can really drain the life out of you... keep doing the awesome job you're already doing! We'll just have to pat each other on the back since we can't count on administrative support....

    ReplyDelete